The goal of the Education Committee is to positively influence student scholastic potential and recognize student efforts through better use of PEC’s already available academic programs and enrichment opportunities. Through simple techniques, and by working in conjunction with PEC teachers and administration, we seek to foster an atmosphere of high academic values within PEC’s diverse student population and parent community.
The Education Committee has been making some great progress with enrichment at Paul Ecke Central! Here are some recent highlights:
- Math 24 Club — This is set to begin in January, on Mondays after school from 2:30-3pm.
- First Lego League/Robotics — We are looking at beginning this program late this year or early 2015-2016.
- Los Ninos Multiculturales — This is an after-school program about Latin culture that is hoping to start in January and we are looking for a parent to assist.
- Spelling Bee — There is a lot of interest in starting a spelling bee within PEC. One parent is taking the lead to look into this.
- Need for a program to stimulate multiplication learning in grades 2 and 3. Looking for input and ideas.
- Younger Kids’ Math Club — There is interest in seeing if there is a similar program to Math 24 for the lower grades. One parent is looking into this.
- Math Family Night — Ms. Coles has expressed an interest in getting this going.
- iPadicon — This will happen at beginning of January PTA meeting. Students will demonstrate typical class apps for parents!
Other things the Committee is working on include the following:
- Critical need for better communication on several things – enrichment programs, calendar, common core
- Group would like to put together a master list/calendar of all school activities and info. in one place.
- Need to get password info. for iPad apps in a readily available spot.
- Overall need to have Common Core teaching methods explained to parents so they can help kids at home.
Here are some other useful links:
TENMARKS: TENMARKS, a comprehensive math practice program offering unlimited problems in thousands of skills. Students log in by clicking here: https://www.tenmarks.com/login
for user: Eusd00000 (00000=your student’s ID number)
ST Math: What students worked on in ST Math during the school year will be no different this summer! Click here to sign on and enter this activation code for PEC PAU73ML8GMUBAX (for laptop) or username: PAU73M and password: L8GMUBAX (for iPads).
Accelerated Reader: Click here for a video by PEC students giving a step-by-step guide to taking an AR test and checking your goal progress. Click here for a video by David Miyashiro and Richman in the Fullerton School District about AR.